But McCain isn't talking about doing anything like that... is he?
Take back earmark funds. The McCain Administration will reclaim billions of add-on spending from earmarks and add-ons in FY 2007 and 2008 ["Jobs for America: The McCain Economic Plan," (PDF alert!) McCain campaign briefing, JohnMcCain.com, p. 5].
Hmm... the Discovery Bridge may be safe, since John Thune says he got the first earmark for that project back in 1998 (maybe that's why McCain didn't pick him?). But the McCain administration could require South Dakota to pay back the following:
- $500K for Small Business Administration support for rural tech-based economic development
- $3.9M for wildlife and rec areas
- $6.5M for alternative energy research
- $2.3M for work on Highways 11 and 42 in Sioux Falls
- $9.2M for continued operation of the Oahe Dam
So if the Straight Talk Express breezes through South Dakota again, will we hear McCain say, "Give us back that money"? And will Governor Rounds and Senator Thune lead the charge to hand that money back? I'm feeling skeptical....