While reading up, I did find it interesting to see how Sanford Health spends some of our money. Among the highlights from Sanford's 2007 Form 990:
- South-Dakota-born sports stars Chad Greenway and Mike Miller each made $60,000 as independent contractors. Drop by sports camps, cut a few ads, make 20% more than the median household in Minnehaha County made all that year. Nice work if you can get it.
- Legal fees: three quarters of a million. $501K to DavenportEvansHurwitzSmith, $224K to Alston Bird of Atlanta (come on... couldn't spend those dollars locally?)
- VP Mark Elliot got $331K in pay, $47K in benefits, and $7.5K in expenses for marketing. Marketing: not actually helping anyone who's sick, but just fidning ways to convince us when we get sick that we should come to not just any hospital, but his hospital.
- Amount spent on advertising: $3.2 million. (Amount Sanford originally resisted paying Joe and Missy Urbaniak for their son Cooper's cancer treatment: $400,000.)
- CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft drew $1,266,680 in salary, $121,950 in benefits, and $11,776 in expense account and etceterals.