What's so great about downtown Brookings?
- Iconic local restaurants like Nick's Hamburger Shop and George's Pizza.
- A 3% vacancy rate.
- Downtown Brookings Inc., an association dedicated to real Main Street development, not just banners and flower baskets.
- People who don't see a lack of parking as a problem. "People like to complain that we don’t have enough parking in downtown Brookings," Downtown Brookings Inc. President Kris Struwe tells the Brookings Register. "That’s a good problem to have. That means people are shopping and eating here." If you go to a Twins or Vikings game, think about how far you walk from the parking lot to your stadium seats. It's probably longer than the length of either Madison's or Brookings's main street.
- Shop owners are upgrading their facades.
- Planners are considering pocket parks, little bits of green space amidst the already diverse mix of retail, services, and residences that make Main Street a place to hang out.