Maybe the Chamber will surprise me and permit some tough questions, like...
- For our District 8 Senate candidates: "Please explain the extent to which voters should consider your opponent's criminal record and your own in selecting our next state senator."
- For District 8 House candidate Jason Bjorklund (and anyone else who cares to jump in): "Do you believe the public schools in Madison, Chester, Rutland, and Ramona have failed? If so, with what practical alternatives should we replace them?"
- For all District 8 legislative candidates: "Senator Russell Olson said in Wednesday's Madison Daily Leader that the 2011 Legislature may face a deficit even greater than the projected $107 million. Yet Senator Olson's Republican colleague Lt. Gov. Dennis Daugaard optimistically assures us the deficit is only $80 million and falling. Who's right?"
- For all District 8 legislative candidates: "What's the smallest size school district that the state can afford to support?"
- For District 8 Senate candidates: "Who gets your vote for District 8 House?"
- For District 8 House candidates: "Who gets your vote for District 8 Senate?"
- For Lake County Sheriff candidates: "Should we allow public officials to hold full-time jobs with the county while collecting retirement benefits?"
- For Lake County Sheriff candidates: "Does Lake County have a drinking problem?"
- For Lake County Commission candidates: "What impact will the extensive proposed revisions of the county zoning ordinances have on Lake County resident?"
- For Lake County Commission candidates: "Do you support continuing to hand out $25,000 of county taxpayer money to the LAIC for failed job creation policies with zero public accountability?"
- For all candidates: "How are you voting on IM 13 on legalizing marijuana in South Dakota?"
Eager readers, your additions to that list are welcome in the comment section. And candidates, if you're reading, your responses are welcome here as well.