We've moved!
DakotaFreePress.com!

Social Icons

twitterfacebooklinkedinrss feed

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Endlessly Henpecked, Autonomy Destroyed

90% of you readers probably don't know who I, Sibby, or Bob Ellis are. 99% likely don't care: you're here for news, commentary, and maybe a chuckle.

But let me open this morning with a personal confession: even though he's never set foot in my house and never met my family, Bob actually has the Heidelberger household all figured out. I am henpecked to no end. The dominant-type female in my house demands having her way in everything. If I don't do what she wants, there's nothing but kicking and screaming. I try explaining my wants and needs, but she never listens. Every minute of the day has to be planned around the boss's schedule.

But hey, that's what life is like with a two-year-old daughter.

(Guess I need to read more Jim Dobson to learn how to beat those beneath me into submission.)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I knew that! Bob didn't need to tell me.
    I THINK he was telling you, professor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Guy, Cory's engaging in a thing known as sarcasm here.

    In reality--and I know this isn't what you or Bob want to believe--Cory and I have one of the best-behaved, most well-adjusted two-year-olds around. You can ask anyone who actually knows our family, and they’ll tell you the same thing. It’s pretty rare for us to take her anywhere and not get comments about how good she is. This is the daughter who has never been to daycare, because we’ve made sure that I was home with her exclusively during the first two years, and that anytime I’m doing very part-time work now, Cory is home with her. You don’t get more “hands-on care” than that. The insinuation that Bob made in his comment that we treat our daughter like a pet is disgusting and couldn’t be further from the truth.

    Now, Guy and Bob, about that whole ridiculous “henpecked” (awful word, by the way) mischaracterization of me and our marriage, feel free to make your off-base, uninformed, dehumanizing, and utterly unchristian accusations directly to me next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I glazed over the pet comment due to the insinuation of the henpecked topic. But when you "Choose" which ones ya keep what else would ya call 'em.
    The comments were directed at the professor, not his wife. It looks like someone took care of things FOR HIM. Thus Henpecked is thus so justified.
    And what here is unChristian? See I can spell it with a capital C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin and I don't really need to have this conversation with someone who uses a Muppet's name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just so we're clear, "Guy," it sounds like you're saying that Erin doesn't have the right to contribute to a discussion about our marriage, but a "man" who doesn't even know us can say all he wants. Just when I thought you guys couldn't get more misogynist....

    ReplyDelete