- boosting safety standards for offshore drilling (because we can trust BP not to cut corners?);
- removing the federal cap on economic liability for oil spills (because what, BP is only responsible for a fraction of the damage it causes?);
- imposing new fees on oil and gas production (hmm... wouldn't fees like that help reduce the deficit? or at least help restore damaged ecosystems?);
- adding "Buy and Build American" guidelines for offshore drilling;
- imposing a two-year moratorium on uranium mining leases on federal lands;
- boosting solar and wind power production on federal lands;
- expanding geothermal energy production;
- fully funding the Land and Water Conservation Fund;
- establishing permanent funding for the National Historic Preservation Fund.
Update 2010.08.03: Related: Mr. Woodring points out that South Dakota is not the most conservative state in the Union. We place fourth, behind Wyoming, Mississippi, and Utah. Self-identifying South Dakota conservatives outnumber us self-identifying South Dakota liberals almost four to one.
I love being the underdog. Really.