Now why, oh why would a candidate who has criticized he opponent for not making herself available to the public often enough turn around and cancel an opportunity to speak directly to the voters and answer tough questions? Has campaign mismanager Josh Shields decided that live debates just don't highlight Noem's best features? Or is Noem just allergic to all those big cats in the Black Hills?
Update 12:55 CDT: Here's the straight poop from KOTA:
- July 1: KOTA invites U.S. House candidates to debate late August or early September.
- July 21: SHS campaign says no availability before the end of the House session; i.e., not 'til October.
- July 26: KOTA invites U.S. House candidates to debate week of October 11.
- July 27: SHS campaign agrees to October debate.
- September 21: Noem campaign declines October debate.